Welcome to Division 1 at Thompson's Class Blog

This site has been put together by Mr. Rollins and my students at Thompson Elementary School in Richmond

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Why I love Sports (and maybe why you do too)...

Today we got to play wheelchair rugby with Canadian National Wheelchair rugby player Travis Murao. It was fun, and it got me thinking about the dedication it takes to be an athlete at that level. I am not an athlete at that leve, but I love to compete. With the Olympics coming up this summer, I thought I would
share with you two of my favourite (all time) spectating moments.
Here's Travis in his National colours...


My # 1 would have to be when I got to see Canada defeat Russia in the quarterfinals of the Vancouver Olympics. We were in the 6th row behind the Russian net. There was so much hype surrounding the Russian team, I kind of thought we were going to lose. But we came out on fire and the crowd was amazing and we scored the first 3 goals (right in front of us) and ended up winning 7-3! Sometimes things are better when you don't expect the outcome to happen the way it does. I think that's why everyone loves "The Cinderella Stories" that happen in college basketball all the time.

The second moment I will share with you was watching Simon Whitfield in the triathlon in 2008 in Beijing. He didn't win. That didn't matter. The guts, determination and drive he showed (captured pretty well in the grainy video below-it was better on the real CBC- but Youtube doesn't have it up) were unbelievable and are a sporting moment I will never forget.
Watching live, Simon was a ways back and then he threw off his hat- hinting at what was to come. I got goosebumps...

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment